Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Why I'm Doing This

Those of you who know me may be wondering why I would get into blogging. I'm not a fan of the social-networking sites like Myspace and Facebook, in fact I'm almost anti them, so why blog? I have three main reasons (though these aren't in any particular order):First, I like to think some of my thoughts would help others, and so I hope that as I record them here they will help someone, somewhere, somehow. While I plan on writing a lot about my thoughts on theology, I intend to do so in a way that has practical application. I also wrestle with some very real problems and I hope that as I learn things through these, I can pass these lessons on to my readers as well. Overall I'm pretty much just going to be writing my musings on life as they happen, though I like to think they're fairly deep.Second, I hope that in doing this that I will waste less time in useless thoughts and activities. I often wonder how I spend the many hours of my days, and often can't come up with anything significant. I hope that the motivation to write good thoughtful posts on here will cause me to spend more time thinking, reading, praying and writing on weighty issues. The reading thing deserves special attention, in that not only do I want to read more, I want to read more discerningly as well. I plan to do reviews of books I read, and I hope that doing so will inspire me to read more and pay more attention to what I read (if only out of shame for not writing enough book reviews!)The third reason I'm blogging is because I want to develop my abilities at writing. In the long run (as in, sometime in my life) I hope to write a book about something of significance. As I understand it, writing is one of those skills that you only get good at by practicing, so this blog is precisely that, practice. These may not be all the reasons I'm blogging, but they were the first ones that I thought of now, which I guess means they're the most important. I hope you as the reader enjoy this blog,. I'll try and be fairly regular about posting, and try and make it interesting, and sometimes funny. I promise!